Scholarship Application Prep
Welcome to the Chahta Foundation Application Prep page. This page provides you with the scholarship questions prior to filling out the application.
We will continue to update this page with additional information. If you have further questions, try visiting our FAQ page.
Types of Scholarships
In 2017, we are offering 25 unique, competitive scholarships for students seeking an associate, bachelors, masters, or academic or professional doctorate degree.
Complete your on-line application, and you’re automatically registered for EVERY scholarship that meets your qualifications!
Eligibility: The applicant must be a member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, be enrolled at a college or university in the Fall 2017 semester, and have at least a 2.5 collegiate GPA (for current college/university students) or at least a 2.5 high school GPA (for graduating high school seniors).
Prepare for the Application
Fill in the Blank Information
You will be asked to provide personal information, contact information, and information specific to your current participation in various Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma programs. This section is in a traditional online format similar to completing a social media profile.
Short Answer Questions
The scholarship application includes a select number of short answer essay questions to learn more about you.
Due to the number of applications, we require responses to be 250 words or less. This is to help you identify the most important aspects that you would like the scholarship committee to know about you.
Below is the list of the short answer questions you will be asked to complete. Some are required, and some are optional.
The optional questions help us determine your eligibility for certain scholarships that require awardees to have had certain experiences. Answering these questions is optional, but you do have to answer them to be considered for those specific scholarships.
- What does being Choctaw mean to you?
- Why did you choose your field of study?
- What are your career goals?
- Tell us something about you that we did not ask?
- Is there an individual, event, or story from the wars in either Iraq or Afghanistan that has impacted your life? Please explain how this individual, event, or story may or may not have impacted decisions on your education and/or future goals.
- If you, or a family member, have battled or continue to battle breast cancer, please tell us about your journey and what this education will mean to you.
- If you are a non-traditional student who is about to return to school, what will this second chance mean to you and your family?
Additional Documents Required
These documents are required in addition to your online application. They can either be uploaded into the system or sent directly to the Chahta Foundation: by mail, PO Box 1849 Durant, OK 74702, by fax, 580-745-9023, or by email to email@example.com.
Our application requires that you upload a resume. A resume is a brief account of a person’s education, qualifications, and previous experience.
If you do not have one, use this template to begin your resume.
Copy of Tribal Membership Card
The application requires a photo of your tribal membership card to be uploaded into the application. Instructions can be found on our Scholarship FAQ page.
Current College Students: The application requires your most recent unofficial college transcript to be uploaded in a PDF format. Your college or university can assist you with obtaining this.
Current High School Seniors: The application requires your current high school transcript with grades earned through the end of the fall 2016 semester. Your high school counselor will be able to provide this to you.
Letters of Recommendation
The application requires two letters of recommendation, not from a relative.
These letters can range from high school teachers, to university professors, to your boss at work. The more they can tell us about you, the better. These will need to be uploaded into the scholarship application as a PDF format document or sent to the Chahta Foundation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the Scholarship FAQ page for more information on how to convert documents into a PDF and upload them into the system.
Financial Needs Analysis form (FNA)
A Financial Needs Analysis (FNA) will be needed for applications. Click here to download a FNA.
**The FNA will be sent to the Chahta Foundation by the school’s financial aid department and does not need to be uploaded. **
The only exceptions will be:
- High School Seniors – Most schools will not give new incoming freshmen an FNA until they have been on campus for a semester.
- Some new Graduate and Doctorate students – Please try and get this information. If your school will not release it, then we will wavier the FNA requirement. This information does help your application.
Suggestions and Guidelines
- Resumes, short answer essays, and other general information will be entered directly in the application portal. If you have answered these questions prior to starting the application, you are welcome to copy and paste your responses into the application.
- Your transcript, letters of recommendation, and FNA all need to be in the .pdf format. For more information about how to convert these documents to PDF files, please visit the Scholarship FAQ page.
- Your Choctaw Tribal Membership card will need to be uploaded in a .jpg or .png format. For more information about how to convert the card to one of these formats, please visit the Scholarship FAQ page.
- You will receive a confirmation email when you’re application has been submitted. Please contact us if you have any questions or issues.